19 At-Home Date Night Ideas
Everyone knows where their remote control is located. But how can we make an at-home evening special without pressing the “on” button (even with kids around)? Here are nineteen ideas:
- Put together a puzzle: Yes, this requires some calm patience, but you just might start to see those sea turtles and palm trees.
- Play a board game: There are lots of standards to enjoy like Scrabble or Taboo, some less traditional ones like Settlers of Catan and Codenames, as well as off-the-beaten-path options like The Mind or Forbidden Island.
- Reminisce: Look through old photo albums, home videos, or keepsakes.
- Read to each other: You may not be able to do different voices for each character, but there’s something special about enjoying a book together.
- Have a dance party: If you have children, involve them. Kids love to dance, and this could be a great time to pick songs from different generations where everybody can bust a move.
- Give a massage: Who doesn’t like getting a shoulder or foot rub? This could easily become one of your favorite at-home date night ideas.
- Create an art project: Whether it’s a team painting to go on a bare wall or a paper collage from magazines that you can mail to grandma, why not get creative and make something fun to look at (or at least one-of-a-kind). For the competitive: have an “art race” where everyone gets the same amount of time and supplies to make a project, then everyone judges the winner.
- Have fun shopping online: It may not work to take your spouse out to the mall or their favorite store, but you can still go online to check out earrings, home décor, or tools.
- Go on a drive: There are lots of spots to cruise through in Indianapolis and the surrounding suburbs. Enjoy exploring new areas and maybe even listening to some music or an audiobook.
- Plan something together: Do you have a big anniversary coming up? Why not plan a weekend getaway? Brainstorm a future getaway, whether local or out-of-state, that you can start planning and saving toward.
- Bake dessert together: What’s that? You’re terrible at baking? That’s why they invented break-and-bake cookies.
- Call somebody on the phone: Make the evening special by calling up somebody neither of you has talked to in a while. You can even make it a “double date” with another couple you know.
- Take a walk together: As they say, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.
- Make a bonfire: Now, I wouldn’t try this if you live in an apartment. But if not, bonfires make for one of the most fun at-home date night ideas—especially if you cook up some marshmallows or tell stories.
- Write a story or skit together: You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make up a story together. The weirder the story, the funnier the memory.
- Pray together: Take thirty minutes to praise, thank, and worship God. This can allow you to spiritually connect and reset in a special way.
- Sing together: Maybe a family hymn sing will lift everyone’s spirits and voices. Maybe it’s having a karaoke night using a wooden spoon as the microphone.
- Enjoy specialty drinks: Alcohol doesn’t have to be in the recipe to make fun after-dinner drinks. Try a smoothie bar, hot chocolate variations, a tea flight, or some kombucha.
- Have a candle-lit dinner: The electricity doesn’t have to be out to enjoy candles at the dinner table. A little bit of calm and romance in the dining room can be just what your spouse needs after a hurried day in the rest of the house.
This article was originally published on CPCSmallGroups.Net.