How to Pray for Afghanistan
Psalm 75:3 says, “When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars.” This verse is incredibly relevant in our times, particularly as we consider the unrest all around the world.
As we think of the turmoil and terror and confusion in Afghanistan these days, here are three things we can pray for:
1. Pray for the people of Afghanistan
- Read: “For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper. He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence, he redeems their life, and precious is their blood in his sight” (Ps. 72:12-14).
- Pray: for God’s mercy in limiting the loss of life, in protecting the poor and needy, in saving those who are targets of the Taliban
- Pray especially for young women who are in particular danger, and for those who have been wrenched from their families and homes to serve the Taliban
2. Pray for the church in Afghanistan
- Read: “In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me! Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man. For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth” (Ps. 71:2-5).
- Praise: In 1960, there were only a couple of known believers in the entire country of Afghanistan. Now there are several hundred in Afghanistan and several thousand worldwide. Praise God for this growth of his Church!
- Pray: that God would protect his people and keep them from harm; that he would hide them from the enemy.
- Pray: that believers would be courageous and not deny their faith, even if it means paying for it with their lives.
- Pray: that if believers are martyrs for Jesus, their testimony would become the foundation upon which an indigenous church could be established in that land for the first time in over 150 years.
3. Pray for the leaders of Afghanistan
- Read: “[B]ut it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs” (Ps. 75:7-8).
- Read: “For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God” (Rom. 13:1b).
- Pray: that God would turn the leaders of the Taliban from violence and vengeance to peace and justice.
- Pray: that God would make their hearts sick of the violence they are committing so that they cannot continue in it.
- Pray: that the leaders of Afghanistan would bow down before Jesus, worship him, and seek his Kingdom.
May God change the hearts of Afghan leaders, Christians, and nonbelievers through this trial. And may we be faithful in praying for his name to be known in the nation of Afghanistan.