Why You Should Pray for Missionaries
Do missionaries really need prayer? Does prayer make an actual, tangible difference in their lives and ministries? Should everyone pray for missionaries? The answer to each of these questions is a resounding, “YES.”
From personal experience, and from the lives of our own College Park missionaries, let me assure you that missionaries DO need prayer, that prayer DOES make a difference, and that everyone SHOULD pray for our missionaries.
“Why,” you ask? Let me share a few reasons with you:
- Missionaries need the spiritual power. They are fighting an unseen battle for the souls of men, women, and children. You can do as much in the heavenlies from here as you can from actually being there! (Eph. 6:12,18)
- Missionaries need the encouragement. Missionary work is often lonely and they can feel isolated and disconnected. To know that someone cares enough about them to actually bring them before the throne of grace is a tremendous encouragement to missionaries. (Phil. 1:3-5)
- How better could you invest your time? We say we’re so busy, and maybe some of us are, but frankly, we make time to do the things we really want to do. Some of what we spend our time on is fluff. Prayer is an eternal investment. You will never regret any effort you made to spend time in prayer. (Col. 3:1,2)
- We need the time with God. Any time spent with God is good for our souls. It builds our relationship with Him to talk with Him. (Rev. 3:20) Praying for the exaltation of His name around the world through our missionaries lifts us up out of the ordinary and helps us draw closer to God and the things He values.
Have I convinced you yet? Are you ready to begin? Here are a few ways to jump into praying for missionaries:
- Pick up a Global Outreach Prayer Guide at the North Indy Global Outreach wall. This guide has all of our College Park missionaries (and their picture!), as well as our strategic global outreach partners, along with a list of prayer requests for each one.
- Join a Barnabas Team. Sometimes it’s easier to pray for missionaries with some other believers. It also generates more spiritual power when we agree on our requests together (Matt. 18:19). Did you know that there are existing groups of people who meet monthly to pray for a specific College Park missionary/missionary family and their current needs? If you’re looking to grow in prayer this year, joining a Barnabas team is a great next step.
Here is what one of our missionaries just wrote to their Barnabas team:
“We come to the end of another year, and you have been faithful, again, to us. We’re getting used to it, but it still humbles us to think that there is a group of people who meet for the main purpose of praying for our spiritual and physical welfare. Thanks for doing this hidden work.”
Thank you, on behalf of all of our missionaries, for doing this hidden work!